Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ugggh no shopping yet this week

and busier than I care to be at work right now sooooo posting is a bit light. Add a sick little one into the mix and uggg can this week hurry up and get over with please!!!

That is ok though. I was a bit worried about my budget and this *no time to shop* thing is a good thing in a way. LOL

I should be back to shopping in a day or so!

A few quick notes.

- Did you know that you can cook a whole ribeye the same way you do a standing rib roast??? And it turns out perfect! I love cooking standing rib (special treat on holidays) but I HATE paying for the bones. I feel like for a 4 pd roast I am paying for a 1 lb of it to be BONES. So this past week Food Lion had Ribeyes on sale for 5.99 pd ( they seem to run a deal like this about once every 2 months or so at various stores) and decided to try it out. I asked the butcher to cut a 3-4 pd roast for me which they were more than happy to do. I got it for the 5.99 sale price.
Cooked the following way (Paula Dean's Perfect Rib Roast recipe):
1 4 pd standing rib (or in this case, whole boneless Ribeye)
salt
pepper
whatever other seasonings you want (we use garlic powder and onion powder)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Put seasonings on roast.
Put in oven for 1 hour.
Turn oven off and leave in oven for 3 hours. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR for any reason during this time.
About 30-45 mins before serving, turn oven back on to 375 and reheat. (Can add other items to oven for cooking during this time. Ok to open door after 3 hours.)
Pull out roast and let rest for 15-20 minutes before cutting.

SOOO GOOD!

And the leftovers? Put whole roast in fridge (we only slice off what we are going to eat the first night) and then next day use electric knife or home *deli-style* slicing machine to cut really thin and use for the BEST roast beef sandwiches you have ever had!

3.5 lb roast cost $21.00
-Had for hot prime rib/steak style dinner first night.
-On day 2 of leftovers for sandwiches and will get a 3rd day out of it easily!
$5 or so per meal for a cut of meat like that is incredible!

- Also signed up for my free Suave shampoo!! Now I just need to remember to get all of my rebates filled out this weekend and get them in the mail!

No comments:

Post a Comment