Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A little cooking..

Taking advantage of the snowy weather (for us this is very rare and pretty much stops everything in its tracks for a few days).

I cooked up a big 9x13 Chicken, Cheese, Broccoli and Rice casserole yesterday for dinner. This will serve as one more dinner and a few lunches over the next several days. I love these types of meals. I mixed everything in the actual cooking dish so there was zero cleanup. And because I add the broccoli to it I have everything in one dish for a complete meal! Cheap too. All prices are approximate but:
1 package of chicken tenders (2.00)
1 package of cheese/broccoli preseasoned rice mix(.30)
1 cup of rice (.05 to free)
2 cups of shredded cheese (1.75)
1 box frozen broccoli (.77)
1can of chicken broth (.30)
1/2 cup of milk (.20)
Salt, pepper etc (.10)
= 5.47 for 2 dinners and a few lunches

Today I cooked up 5 pds of ground beef bought on sale at HT on Monday. I LOVE having precooked ground beef in the freezer. I use it in a ton of things:
Spaghetti Sauce
Vegetable Beef Soup
Tacos
Manwich
Hamburger Helper
Add to Zataranns Rice mixes for one pot meals.
I cook it up in a big pot on the stove with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chopped frozen onion and tons of minced garlic. Once cooked I was able to seperate it out into 6 quart sized freezer bags. Now it is all cooked and well seasoned for whatever recipe I need it for 6 meals!

I am also cooking the Ribeye Roast I got on sale for tonights dinner and then sandwiches for at least 3-4 days.

So basically I have my cooking done pretty much thru the weekend and even farther ahead! Just have to add sides or other ingrediants to make several meals.
Rough cost= 42.00
Total Meals= 14-15
Per meal cost= 3.00 (most will equal out to be around $4-$5 by the time you add sides etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment